learner / researcher / developer
Hi, I’m Thinh (Ted) Nguyen-Vo,
I’m interested in studying how technology and design can improve human experience in interactive and intelligent systems. When I was in university, I have designed and developed several smart systems such as a storyteller which automatically tell stories based on the recognized comic book cover. Completed bachelor degree in computer science at the University of Science in Vietnam in 2015, I started a master program at Simon Fraser University in Canada in Fall 2016 and became a member of the iSpace lab whose vision is to use Virtual Reality for fundamental research and use fundamental research for improving Virtual Reality.
- Nguyen-Vo, T., Riecke, B. E., & Stuerzlinger, W. (2018). Simulated Reference Frame: A Cost-Effective Solution to Improve Spatial Orientation in VR. Full paper presented at 2018 IEEE Virtual Reality (VR). (Download)
- Hashemian, A. M., Kitson, A., Nguyen-Vo, T., Benko, H., Stuerzlinger, W., & Riecke, B. E. (2018). Investigating a Sparse Peripheral Display in a Head-Mounted Display for VR Locomotion. Poster & extended abstract presented at 2018 IEEE Virtual Reality (VR). (Download)
- Nguyen-Vo, T., Riecke, B. E., Stuerzlinger, W., Pham, D.-M., & Kruijff, E. (2018). Do We Need Actual Walking in VR? Leaning with Actual Rotation Might Suffice for Efficient Locomotion. Poster accepted at Spatial Cognition 2018.
- Nguyen-Vo, T., & Riecke, B. E. (2017). Detecting Spatial Orientation Demand during Virtual Navigation using EEG Brain Sensing. Poster presented at Psychonomic Society 58th Annual Meeting.
- Kitson, A., Nguyen-Vo, T., Hashemian, A. M., Stepanova, E. R., & Riecke, B. E. (2017). A User Study Comparing Two Low-Cost Chair Interfaces for Embodied Virtual Locomotion. Talk presented at Psychonomic Society 58th Annual Meeting.
- Nguyen-Vo, T., DiPaola, S., & Riecke, B. E. (2017). Detecting Spatial Orientation Demands during Virtual Navigation using EEG Brain Sensing. Short paper presented at 2017 ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on Software for Augmented and Virtual Reality (SAVR) (pp. 1–5). (Download)
- Nguyen-Vo, T., Riecke, B. E., & Stuerzlinger, W. (2017). Investigating the Effect of Simulated Reference Frames on Spatial Orientation in Virtual Reality. Poster presented at The Second International Workshop on Models and Representations in Spatial Cognition.
- Nguyen-Vo, T., Riecke, B. E., & Stuerzlinger, W. (2017). Moving in a box: Improving spatial orientation in virtual reality using simulated reference frames. Poster & extended abstract presented at 2017 IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces (3DUI) (pp. 207–208). https://doi.org/10.1109/3DUI.2017.7893344 (Download)
- Prior to 2017
- Pham, D.-M., Dam-Nguyen, T.-N., Nguyen-Vo, P.-T., & Tran, M.-T. (2013). Smart Teddy Bear a vision-based story teller. Full paper presented at 2013 International Conference on Control, Automation and Information Sciences (ICCAIS) (pp. 257–262). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCAIS.2013.6720564 (Download)
- Pham, D.-M., Nguyen-Vo, T., & Tran, M.-T. (2015). Smart Playground: A Tangible Interactive Platform with Regular Toys for Young Kids (pp. 383–388). Poster & extended abstract presented at the International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Springer International Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-21380-4_65 (Download)
- Alternate Realities Lab
- Room 3800, Simon Fraser University (Surrey Campus)
- 250-13450 102 Ave.
- Surrey, BC, V3T 0A2
- tnguyenv [at] sfu.ca
- t [at] nguyenvo.me